Aloe vera is great for burns, but you already knew that. You smear it on and it magically gets rid of that accidental sunburn from sitting on Horseneck Beach for too long (you know, you should really wear sunscreen next time).
But what if I told you that aloe vera can get rid of the acne you have, or cure dry skin, or even heal the scarring you have from picking that blemish you weren’t supposed to. It’s even great to make into a drink for hydration, organ benefits, and clearer skin.
It’s all in the power of plants, my friends, and it’s cheaper than any moisturizers you probably already own. It’s inexpensive, easy to prepare, and works magic on your skin — have I sold you yet?
Here’s what I love to do: buy an aloe leaf from the produce department at Lees’ Market or Clements’ Marketplace and prepare the gel. After you shower, apply it to your face and then follow up with your favorite natural moisturizer (we suggest jojoba oil) — whether its before applying makeup or just heading out the door.
You can also use it as an overnight mask, just apply a good layer on your face and get some beauty sleep. Wash it off in the morning and you will wake up looking like mother nature herself.
Follow the steps below to prepare your aloe:
1. Prepare your station…. you will need:
- Fresh aloe leaf (produce department)
- Sharp knife
- Silicone ice cube trays or 4 oz mason jars to freeze the aloe gel
2. Cut the bigger end of the aloe off.
3. Cut the serrated edges off the aloe lengthwise. Try to get just the edge off.
4. Turn your blade to the side and slide it just under the top piece of skin
5. Take the now-cut piece of skin off the top and toss it. Use a spoon to scoop out the gel and place it into a blender.
6. Blend until smooth (it will be a little frothy, which is okay)
7. Distribute evenly into your ice cube trays/mason jars and freeze.
Pull out a cube and put it in the fridge to use when you need it. It stays good in the fridge for a week.
We suggest freezing the aloe and then popping an ice cube of it into a jar in the fridge and use it every day throughout the week. You can pull out frozen cubes and rub it on any burns as you need it too. It’s cheaper than any moisturizer on the market, and it’s all-natural! Give it a try, your skin will be glowing like a goddess in no time.